“Interesting roommates, convenient study spaces, and grassy areas all combine to create a positive study environment that helps me balance working hard with having fun.”
Year Round Residence
If you are interested in living in residence as a returning student, we strongly recommend applying to live in residence year-round. There are many benefits, including:
- Ongoing accommodation. Students in Year Round Residence qualify for a new contract offer every year while eligible.
- Lots of options, from shared suites with multiple roommates to studio apartment living in residence areas designed for upper-year students, graduate students and student families.
- It’s flexible. Stay on-campus during the summer or apply to sublet to another eligible UBC student. It’s your choice.
- Meal plans are available. You will have a kitchen but can purchase a meal plan for convenience and savings at campus restaurants and off-campus partner locations.
We do not offer a room guarantee for returning students.
Year Round Residences
Brock Commons Tallwood House
Green College (graduate students)
St. John’s College (graduate students)
Acadia Park (student families)
Events & programs
No matter what time of year, there’s always something to do and ways to get involved in the residence community. Join a committee that oversees residence programs like wellness or sustainability and attend special events that help keep the residence community active and engaged.
Applying for Year Round Residence
Follow these step-by-step instructions and apply early. We send offers based on application date and the earliest occupancy date. Students who agree to begin occupancy in early May are best positioned to receive an offer.
Random selection for Winter Session Residence
A limited number of Winter Session Residence beds are available for returning students. Enrolment at UBC is growing and the majority of these spaces are assigned to students who qualify for the First Year Guarantee and other new-to-UBC students. As a result, there is more demand than supply. Returning students must apply by February 1. In mid-February, we will use the Residence Allocation Process (RAP) to randomly determine each returning student’s application status and one of two things will happen:
- You will get an offer to live in residence. A deposit will be required to secure your spot. We’ll send specific residence assignment details in the summer.
- You will receive a waitlist number. You can monitor this number online and could receive an offer to live in residence at any time, even after September, if a space opens up. This has been known to happen due to cancellations, co-op terms or other unpredictable scenarios.
You can apply for both Year Round Residence and Winter Session Residence at the same time. The $50 non-refundable application fee will cover both applications provided they are received within a 14-day period.
Rooms in residence for returning students are not guaranteed. Applying does not guarantee an offer will be made and how we assign rooms depends on a number of factors. We appreciate your interest in residence but suggest it may be prudent to also investigate other housing options at UBC or consider living off-campus.