By Andy Chen and Humaira Hamid, UBC students
Many new students struggle with questions such as, “How tough are my courses going to be? Will I be able to keep up? What if I need extra help?” Good news! UBC has resources for students to build exceptional study and learning skills.
Use available resources
- Professors and teaching assistants (TAs) are available after class and during office hours to help with assignments and difficult material. Don’t be afraid to ask.
- UBC offers a range of free resources including study tips, writing strategies, and citation guides.
- UBC Chapman Learning Commons has helpful resources and tools for learning more effectively.
Professors have limited time to cover course material in lectures, so they focus on what’s most important. Stay on top of your reading and assignments, and consider lectures as an opportunity to review material you’ve already covered on your own. Most professors recommend 2–3 hours of study outside class for every hour in class.
Make peace with exams
They’re unavoidable. Exams are part of university life. Prepare the best you can but don’t get discouraged by lower-than-expected grades at first. Many students need time to adjust to university life.
Connect and engage
Try connecting with people in your classes. Making friends or forming study groups with like-minded students is a great way to stay motivated.
Manage your time
When scheduling classes, consider this:
- Is your course load manageable? Many courses include labs, discussions or tutorials on top of lecture hours.
- Have you left time for breaks? It can be tempting to schedule courses back-to-back, but you’ll need time to eat, socialize and chill.
Kickstart your career
Make the most of your time at UBC and get a head start on your career. Get started with a wide range of UBC tools and resources or build experience by developing and applying your skills and knowledge through local and international opportunities.
Plagiarism means using the thoughts or words of another author and passing them off as your own. Plagiarism is not tolerated at UBC and can quickly end your university career.