UBC offers commuter students affordable overnight accommodation during Winter Session to support academic success and involvement in campus co-curricular activities.
Commuter Student Hostel rooms, located in tə šxʷhəleləm̓s tə k̓ʷaƛ̓kʷəʔaʔɬ student residence, are available Sunday to Thursday from mid-September to the end of April (except during the winter holiday break). During exam periods, hostel rooms are available seven days a week.
How to make a reservation
- Reservations open in mid-September.
- Please visit the online reservation system to book your room.
- Online reservations only; we are unable to make reservations by phone.
- You must book at least 24 hours in advance.
- There is a maximum stay of two nights in a seven-day period.
- For weekends with a stat holiday on the Monday, reservations are not available for the Sunday evenings—except during exam periods.
- Reservations are not available during Midterm Breaks (i.e. Reading Break).
- Reserve your room online using a credit card.
- Pay for your stay with a credit card, debit card or cash at check-in.
- Limited overnight parking is available for an additional $18 per night, including taxes.
- Parking permits are valid from 4 pm to 11 am.
Check-in / check out info
- Time: Check in after 4 pm; check out by 11 am.
- Location: Check in and out at the Walter Gage Residence front desk (open 24 hours per day for hostel and hostel guests).
Conduct and safety
Guests must adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Commuter Student Hostel (CSH) Agreement.
Cancellations must be made 48 hours in advance. If you cancel less than 48 hours prior to your reservation, you will be charged for one night’s stay.
From mid-May to mid-August each year, students can book a room at the Pacific Spirit Hostel, located at Place Vanier residence.