In fall 2021, a new student residence complex, which will include five residential buildings and collectively house 940 upper-year students, is scheduled to open on UBC’s Vancouver campus. UBC Student Housing and Community Services (SHCS) is overseeing all aspects of this project.
This commission is to create original concept artwork, which will be applied to pre-designed walkway canopy structures in the outdoor areas surrounding the new residence community.
SHCS (formerly Student Housing and Hospitality Services) partnered with Musqueam to name həm̓ləsəm̓ and q̓ələχən Houses in 2011, and c̓əsnaʔəm House in 2017, at Totem Park Residence. A joint Musqueam/SHCS storytelling committee has continued to develop educational materials and opportunities for students to learn more about the land, language, culture, and history of the Musqueam people.
This project is an opportunity to strengthen relationships between Musqueam and UBC and to showcase Musqueam traditions and presence on campus.
*Additional compensation may be provided based on design complexity and the provision of comprehensive services during the implementation process, such as fabrication and installation.
Submit your proposal
Interested Musqueam artists must submit their proposal in writing and include the following components:
- Artist’s biography or summary.
- Full contact information.
- Concept design(s): initial concept design(s), in the form of sketches or drawings, which you believe reflects the considerations and specifications outlined in the RFP.
- Vision statement: an associated statement or story, of 50 to 200 words, which explains the artist’s intention and significance of the proposed design(s).
- (Optional) Examples of previous work: you are welcome to submit up to 5 images featuring previous work, which must be clearly labeled with title, medium, dimensions, date of work, and a short description.
How do I submit?
Review the complete Request for Proposal (RFP).
Create your design and put together your submission package.
What is the submission deadline?
The deadline to submit your proposal is 4:30 pm, October 20, 2020.
For more detail and complete instructions, please refer to the Request for Proposal.
Considerations and specifications
First, please review the following Appendices in the Request for Proposal to consider possibilities for your design:
- Appendix 1: Project map.
- Appendix 2: Preliminary canopy renderings.
- Appendix 3: Examples of glazing patterns and production information.
The design should reflect Musqueam traditions and art.
Consider concepts of teaching, learning, transformation, sustainability, and/or wellness from a Musqueam perspective. You may also want to tie in the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and English house names and stories, jointly selected, which are themed around the following five ocean animals: q̓ǝlɬalǝmǝcǝn (Orca), qʷta:yθǝn (Sturgeon), sɬewǝt’ (Herring), tǝmǝs (Otter), sqimǝk̓ʷ (Octopus).
There is an opportunity to be creative with the use of shadows and the potential for patterns to appear on the ground in the sunshine.
If the successful submission includes the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ language, the artist will be asked to collaborate with the Musqueam Language and Culture Department.
For further information or design-related inquiries, please contact:
Marketing and Communications Director
UBC Student Housing and Community Services
Thank you! The selection committee looks forward to receiving your submission.