Switches & Transfers


There are a few ways students assigned to Winter Session residences can request to switch rooms. We try our best to accommodate these requests but cannot make guarantees.

Before moving in

To help you find another UBC student to switch rooms with, you can use our Room Switch forum.

What's next after I find someone who wants to switch with me?

After moving in

Room Switches

If you would like to switch rooms after moving into residence and you find another student who shares the same floor, house, or residence area with you who wants to switch, please visit your residence Front Desk together to discuss your request.

Students who live in different residence areas can also request a switch and must visit our Main Office together to discuss the request.

There is a $10 administration fee per person.

Room Transfers

Students who would like to move rooms, but are unable to find another student to switch with can apply online for a room transfer beginning at the end of the first week of classes. Room Transfers are offered based on availability. Before applying, we encourage you to speak with a Residence Life team member, who would be happy to discuss your concerns and help you find a solution and access resources. There is a $50 fee for room transfers.

Info & questions

Contact our Main Office during regular business hours. Further details about authorized and unauthorized room switches and room transfers are in your Residence Contract.